Tashieka Mair, Gleaner Writer
WESTERN BUREAU:
Former national goalkeeper, 46-year-old Devon 'Kid Harris' Dunkley, who also played in the Seba United football team outfit, was offered bail on charges of rape in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court on Wednesday.
Dunkley, who resides at Love Lane in the western city, was offered a $180,000 bail bond and ordered to report to the Freeport Police Station on Mondays.
He is to return to court on October 4.
He is charged in connection with the sexual assault of a 23-year-old woman. The complainant alleges that Dunkley forcibly had sex with her while she was at his home discussing how to get her job back.
However, attorney-at-law George Thomas argued passion-ately that the woman was lying about the alleged incident. He said the allegations were an act of bitterness on the woman's part after his client did not give in to certain demands.
Allegations are that, on June 9, the complainant saw Dunkley at the transportation centre and told him that she had lost her job. He offered to help her get the job back as he used to work with her.
Sexually assaulted her
The court was told that the complainant visited him at his house two days later and, while they were in a room, Dunkley sexually assaulted her. He was arrested on August 24 and was pointed out during an identification parade two weeks later.
Last month, another footballer based in Montego Bay, Colombian national 28-year-old Rueben Hernandez, who was charged with unlawful possession of property after the police found US$89,000 and J$4.7 million (approximately J$10 million in total) at his Montego Bay apartment in March, was acquitted of the charge in the Montego Bay RM Court. The money was returned to him.